Monday, April 8, 2013

Dance Recital #1

Following up on my last post, here is part 2 of my busy weekend! My high school recently had it's dance recital, with me being in 1/2 of the dances. It was a blast, like always!

Dance has been a passion of mine since I was young, joining my first dance class in the 1st grade. I wanted to try it ALL: I started off with ballet my first year, then moved to jazz, tap, lyrical, and finally- hiphop. When I first took hiphop, it immediately became one of my passions, and I've stuck with it since 5th grade.

The Tiger Dance Company started at my school my freshman year, regretfully, though, I was much too shy to join it, and ended up waiting until the following year. All of the instructors were absolutely amazing, and I loved it so much I decided to do it again this year- a great decision.

Just like last year, I performed in three of the dances: Hiphop B, Jazz B, and Lyrical A. All of them had great dancers to work with and made it all a fun experience!

The hiphop dance was to "Black and Yellow" by Wiz Khalifa, a song I love since the Pittsburgh Steelers are my favorite football team. I loved it so much~ I was able to have a part to do my infamous cheststand, a trick I learned how to do earlier this year through my other dance classes. It was pretty cool, especially since my picture ended up being in the paper!


Blurred out last names and the specific locations for privacy reasons. 
Since the picture is a little blurry, this is what my chest stand looks like. 



The second dance I was in was lyrical, the song being "Good Mother" cover by Jay Brannan. This one really spoke to my heart; the theme of it was bullying and it truly was beautiful. It starts out with everyone wearing white shirts and a periwinkle colored cardigan. The cardigan stands for those who are bullies. Throughout the song, different "bullies" take off their sweater- saying that they're done with bullying and they don't like to hurt others. At the end, there's one "bully" left (ironically, one of the nicest girls in school. The instructor had to TEACH her how to push someone, since she was scared to and didn't want to hurt them.) The last "bully" begins to have inner conflict, and one of the "former bullies", hugs her reassuring that it's better this way. 

The third dance was definitely the creepiest, but one of the funnest. We were dolls that were sad about not being bought, came to life, and then got ready to be sold the next day. It's really difficult to describe it, honestly. I honestly don't even know what the song was called-- it was super creepy though! The outfit, on the other hand, was delightfully adorable. Simple black dress that had a little "poof" in it, with a red bow in our hair. 


No comments:

Post a Comment